Zucchini noodles tossed with fresh vegetables, basil and an Italian apple cider vinegar dressing makes a healthy lunch or side dish. Paleo, Nut-Free. Egg-Free and Vegan.
More spiralizer recipes!! You know you love me. But really, how do you not feel super healthy while eating a colorful bowl of zucchini noodles topped with all of the vegetables?
About a year ago I remember saying that if I ever bought a spiralizer, my food life would most likely turn into a vegetable-noodles everywhere situation. But then I got a Spiralizer and that actually didn’t happen. I used it of course because I love a gadget that can make my love for pasta completely healthy and my vegetables more fun. But spiralizer recipes didn’t consume my blog, Instagram feed or my every meal.
Well it’s happened now! I don’t know if it’s because I am away from my own kitchen while I’m in the process of moving and my spiralizer is the only kitchen tool of mine that I have. Or if it’s just my craving for salads that has me inspired to create zoodle pasta salads. Either way I’m happily enjoying all of the vegetable noodles right now!
Which only means more spiralizer recipes for you! >>>
The steps for making this salad are as easy as tossing your vegetables with spiralized zucchini, cooking the onion and pouring a tangy apple cider vinegar dressing over it all. Cooking the onions in my view is a must. Red onions usually make salads look more pretty, but I really don’t like them raw. Cooked onions: yes please. Raw onions: get outta’ my salad! These onions are cooked for only about 10 minute, which is just enough to make them my favorite part about this whole salad! I could probably just eat all of the cooked onions straight from the pan, but then my breath would be not-so-inviting and my salad would not be as colorful.
If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can pick on up on amazon. I use and recommend the Paderno Spiralizer (affiliate link).
- 1 Large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon ghee
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Medium-Large Zucchini
- 1 Cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ Yellow bell pepper, diced
- Packed ½ cup arugula
- Minced basil for garnish
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ Teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Heat up a pan over medium heat and melt the ghee (or any cooking oil you prefer). Toss in the thinly sliced onions, season with a dash of salt and pepper and stir.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low and let the onions cook while you prepare the salad. Keep an eye on them and stir occasionally so that they cook evenly. After about 10 minutes, you can remove them from the heat and set the pan aside to cool.
- Make noodles with your zucchini with your spiralizer (the blade with the smallest triangles) or you can use a vegetable peeler instead to make thin zucchini ribbons.
- Place the zoodles in a large bowl and toss in the tomatoes, pepper and arugula.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Measure 1 cup of the cooked onion and add them to the salad.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss it all to combine. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.