One pan, 15 minute ground beef stir fry with tomato, basil and mixed vegetables. This recipe is dairy free, egg free, nut free and paleo.
It’s 15 minute FRIDAY! (Sing out the Friday to get the full effect) And I’m back with yet another one pan stir fry / hash / all the awesome in a cast iron skillet. Of course with ground beef because it’s easy and inexpensive, and it just tastes so darn delicious 1000 different ways. Then there’s the tomato basil, which is just so classic you can’t go wrong with it.
When tomatoes are cooked in a pan for only a few minutes and they burst in your mouth when you take a bite, that’s my favorite part about this meal.
We’ve already explored tomato basil meatballs and frittatas over here, but cast iron skillet hashes explain my current cooking mood. Just use what you got and toss it all into a pan, knowing that it really can’t come out bad.
Right now, I want all of my meals to come out of one pan or to be in the form of a no cook salad. If you follow me on Instagram, then you now that the latter are definitely happening A LOT. And the former is mostly kale cooked with zucchini and what ever protein I have on hand because I found a bag of kale larger than my two small dogs combined, and I am happily determined to finish the entire thing myself.
This is the place where I can talk excitedly about the giant bag of kale that I bought and feel understood. Thanks for being awesome YOU.
Here’s my thanks- a recipe that will make your two halves, the one that wants to eat something delicious and the one that doesn’t want to wait or cook, a little less conflicted. You just need a pan, a spoon and 15 minutes! Well and maybe a knife for 5 minutes, but you find chopping vegetables calming too, right? Maybe?
I eat this stir fry all by itself, finished with a drizzled of EVOO, but you can also top it with a fried egg.
- 1 Pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- ½ Large sweet onion, chopped
- 1-2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Teaspoons dijon mustard
- 8 Ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Cup grape tomatoes
- 1 Green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 Ounces fresh basil (1 small bunch), chopped
- Olive oil to garnish
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat, and chop the vegetables while the pan heats.
- Add the ground beef and break it up into pieces. Season the meat liberally with salt and pepper. Let the beef cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes, and then toss in the onion, mushrooms, garlic and mustard. Stir.
- Cook until the onions begin to soften, 2-3 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Toss in the tomatoes and bell pepper. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes, until the beef is completely browned and the tomatoes have softened (but not burst).
- Stir in the fresh basil to taste (I used most of the 3 ounces, but taste as you add it until it's enough for you).
- Finish the stir fry with a drizzle of olive oil.
- You can enjoy the stir fry by itself, along side a potato or topped with an egg.