A 5-ingredient healthy breakfast packed with eggs, greens and tomato!
This has been my breakfast all week long, and I am loving it!
Fresh tomato on top of greens and eggs makes breakfast fast, flavorful and incredibly healthy. And there’s enough protein and healthy fats to keep you full and energized all morning.
Besides the flavor (we’ll discuss that in just a moment), my favorite thing about this frittata is how fast and easy it is!
This frittata is a 15 minute meal, plus enough leftovers to fuel three or four mornings for one person. Anytime I can grab a quick leftover from the fridge for breakfast, I’m 10 times more likely to eat a healthy, filling meal in the morning.
Frittatas are perfect because you just cook the vegetables for a minute, add in the eggs and bake the whole thing for about 10 minutes. It’s quick, easy and cuts down on dirty dishes!
This frittata is packed with healthy greens, flavored with beautiful basil and topped with fresh tomatoes.
The fresh, juicy tomatoes on top keep this frittata full of life. When you take a bite, tomato juices will release from the slices, and the flavor of basil will hit your taste buds. The combination is classic for a reason!
I snagged fresh tomatoes from my local farmer’s market last weekend, and they make this egg dish really shine. If you can find fresh, local tomatoes to use I highly recommend it! In fact, you could easily pick up all these ingredients from your farmer’s market and make a frittata for brunch when you get home.
Top it off with sliced avocado for a complete and satisfying meal.
Hakuna frittata, my friends.
- 10 Eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon ghee (or coconut oil)
- 1 Big handful of spinach or kale
- ½ Teaspoon dried basil (or a few teaspoons of fresh chopped basil)
- 1 Large tomato, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, salt, pepper and just a splash of water.
- Melt the ghee in the cast iron skillet, and add the spinach/kale. Season with salt and pepper and the basil.
- Once the spinach has wilted (1 min), pour the whisked eggs into the pan. Set the tomato slices on top of the eggs.
- Let the eggs cook on the stove top for 1-2 minutes, until the edges of the eggs begin to set.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the eggs are fully set, 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the frittata from the oven, slice and top with avocado and fresh basil.