Sweet potatoes, sausage and kale baked into a savory breakfast pie!
This recipe makes all of my breakfast dreams come true … Eggs, sweet potatoes, sausage and kale, and we can call it pie! PIE for BREAKFAST.
This recipe is inspired by Lindsay’s six ingredient sausage potato pie from Pinch of Yum because it looks insanely delicious, and I just had to make a dairy-free version with sweet potatoes in place of the hash browns and with creamy full-fat coconut milk. It’s colorful and full of flavor, despite the lack of melted cheese throughout.
Sweet potato hash brown pie is cooked similarly to a crustless quiche, but it’s really not a quiche at all. The hash browns and sausage are the dominant flavor, giving the casserole a salty-sweet combination. The eggs are just there to hold it all together. The dish can be made creamier and more quiche-like by adding more coconut milk. The measurements for the milk can be anywhere between 1/4 and 1/2 cup and still turn out. I personally like to use 1/4 cup because then the sweet potatoes really stand out as the center of the dish. And sweet potatoes are DA BOMB! 💣
There’s a 83% chance that I only used the phrase “da bomb” so that I could insert the little bomb emoji. As you can see, I am still excited about my ability to use emojis in my blog posts.
This breakfast casserole is healthy and filling, and the leftovers make the most delicious, quick breakfast that can be reheated or eaten cold. A pan of hash brown pie in the fridge guarantees that I’ll make a healthy breakfast choice! How can I pass up breakfast pie??
And bonus: you’ll save dishes by baking the pie right in your cast iron pan! All the ingredients are packed into the pan, baked in the oven and then finished under the broiler for a browned, crispy hash brown crust. 😍😍😍
The only thing you want to watch for is that the sweet potatoes in the center have enough time to cook in the center. They won’t get brown, but they will need time to cook through. Patience is key! Even though you’ll want to dive headfirst into that wonderfully browned hash brown crust. >>>
Join my weekly newsletter to receive email updates and an exclusive 10-recipe ebook! 💜
- 2 Large sweet potatoes, shredded (about 6 cups)
- 2 Cups of chopped kale
- 8-12 Ounces of ground pork
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- ½ Teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ Teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- 6 Eggs
- ¼-1/2 Cup coconut milk (see notes)
- 1 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh minced parsley to garnish
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and shred the sweet potatoes. To save time the morning you make the casserole, you can shred the potatoes the night before and store them covered in the fridge.
- Remove the stems from the kale and chop the leaves into bite sized pieces. Place the shredded sweet potato and chopped kale in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat. Mix the salt, onion, garlic and pepper with the pork. Cook the pork in the pan, breaking it into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink (7-10 minutes).
- While the pork cooks, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk and Italian seasoning.in a large bowl. Stir in the shredded sweet potato and kale and seasoning everything liberally with salt and pepper. Once the pork is done, remove the pan from the heat and stir the pork into the large bowl until everything is well combined.
- Line your cast iron pan with a piece of parchment paper and press the pie ingredients firmly into the pan.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, until the eggs are set and the sweet potatoes in the center have a chance to cook through.
- Turn up the oven to broil and broil for 5 minutes to brown the top.
- Let rest 5-10 minutes before slicing.