Happy Friday! I feel like I’m doing things backwards around here …
Last Monday I posted a brownie (treat yo-self) recipe, and now on Friday I’m here sharing a healthy salad that will brighten your week. Uhh .. well, oops.
This salad is my new weekday lunch jam! It’s got all of those crunchy vegetables that make me feel like I’m being especially smart and healthy, and it has steak and mayonnaise. Meaning it automatically makes your mouth water.
The inspiration for this healthy salad actually came from a fast food joint. Whaaaat? Yep. The other day I heard a commercial on the radio for a southwest steak salad, and I knew what my next recipe would be! A traditional “southwest” salad will come with corn, beans and a creamy dressing with who-knows-what in it. Not this one, folks!
The bright yellow corn gets replaced with yellow bell pepper, the black beans with black olives and the questionable dressing with an avocado oil mayonnaise based dressing. That way you get to keep all the colors and variety in your paleo-friendly southwest salad! And because my body likes vegetabes way more than it likes corn an beans! Although, if I’m being honest, I’ve never liked corn or black beans vey much, and especially not in a salad. The flavors were never my thing.
Bell peppers, black olives and avocado, on the other hand, I’m all about in my salads. I think avocado might be the “tofu” of paleo. You put that stuff in everything. Oh and maybe bacon too…
But this post isn’t about bacon.
It’s about tender steak marinated in lime and cumin and grilled to perfection; creamy avocado oil mayo mixed with cilantro, lime and coconut; and fresh, colorful vegetables.
Are you dreaming of this salad yet?
- 1- 1½ Pounds flank steak
- Juice from 1 lime
- 3 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- ½ Teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ Teaspoon paprika
- ½ Teaspoon cumin
- ¼ Teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ Teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 Yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 Heaping cup grape tomatoes, halved (or sub any small tomatoes, quartered)
- 1 Large hass avocado, sliced
- 1 (2.25) Ounce can of sliced black olives
- Cilantro to garnish
- ½ Cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1 Heaping tablespoon cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 2-3 Tablespoons coconut milk or water (to desired consistency)
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a Ziplock bag and toss to combine. Marinate the steak for 1-2 hours.
- While the steak marinates, prepare the dressing. Make the mayonnaise if necessary, and then combine all of the dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. To start, only add 2 tablespoons of milk/water. You can add more as needed for a thinner consistency (although the dressing should still be really thick).
- Heat a grill (indoor or outdoor) or grill pan to high heat. Gently pat the steak dry with a paper towel, then grill for 4 minutes per side before reducing the heat to low. Let the steak cook on low until the internal temperature reaches 130 degrees for medum rare or 150 degrees for medium well (about 4-6 more minutes). Let the steak rest on a cutting board before slicing it against the grain.
- While the steak grills/rests, you can prepare the salad. Chop all of the indredients and combine in a large bowl. Add the dressing (you will probably have some dresssing left over) and toss to combine.
- Serve topped with flank steak and fresh cilantro.