7-Ingredient shredded Mexican chicken made in the slow cooker. (Dairy free, Paleo)
I have been crazy busy with school, work and life in general, but slow cooker meals like this one are making things easier. I’ve made this chicken SO many times over the past month… sometimes to recipe test and sometimes just because it’s an easy way to cook up chicken, and each time it’s still a huge hit!
In between writing papers, babysitting and hitting the gym, I can toss the chicken and vegetables into my Instant Pot and have a healthy meal in either 8 hours or 35 minutes, depending on which setting I use that day. Seriously, my Instant Pot is my favorite kitchen gadget right now.
You can cook the chicken with the pressure cook setting just the same for about 25-30 minutes. After I shred the chicken, I like to toss it back into the pot with the fajita vegetables and salsa so it can soak up more of the moisture and flavor.
My favorite way to eat shredded Mexican chicken is stuffed inside a white potato (sweet or regular) or in a big taco salad with romaine, avocado and cilantro.
- 1 Small yellow onion, sliced
- 3 Bell peppers, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Mexican seasoning*
- A dash of salt
- 1-2 Pounds chickens breast
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 Cup salsa
- Slice the onion and peppers and toss in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Rub the Mexican seasoning and salt into the chicken breasts and place on top of the sliced vegetables. Add the diced jalapeno and salt.
- Cover the chicken with the salsa.
- Cover your slow cooker with the lid cook on high for 3-4 hours (or on low for 6-8 hours).
- Shred the cooked chicken, garnish with cilantro, and serve atop taco salads, stuffed potatoes or cauliflower rice.