I love EVERYTHING about this salad.
Roasted beets and carrots with their sweet, earthy flavor. Crisp lettuce and cucumbers. Hard boiled eggs and, obviously, bacon. BAAAAACON. Plus a lemon vinaigrette that I could just lick right off of a spoon … because I definitely already did that when I made this salad.
I am a firm believer that a salad should hearty. There’s just no point in eating a salad for lunch if you’re going to be hungry five minutes later. And boy is this salad hearty… And satisfying… And everything a salad should be.
Roasted root veggie salad makes the perfect healthy lunch for the fall/winter season that will keep you full until dinner. You don’t have to limit it to lunch, though. It would also make a nice starter or side dish to dinner. Basically you can just eat this salad all day long.
Mmhh… Just look at that dressing.
What really makes this dressing great is the combination of Dijon mustard and lemon juice. It adds a nice tang to the salad, but doesn’t overpower the other ingredients.
With Christmas right around the corner, this would also make a great salad to accompany your ham on Christmas day. And speaking of Christmas, we finally put up our tree last night!! Which is nine days better than last year, because last year we waited until just two days before Christmas to put up our tree. That’s just sad. I swear we really do love Christmas.
- 1 Medium beet (peeled and diced)
- 1 Cup diced carrots
- 1 Tablespoons avocado oil (or sub fat of choice)
- 1 Small head of leaf lettuce
- 1 Small cucumber (or ½ of a medium/large one)
- 6 Slices of bacon (I used thick sliced bacon)
- 6 Hard boiled eggs (sliced)
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ⅛ Teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. On one, toss the diced beets and carrots with the oil. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the beets are cooked through. They should be softened but still firm.
- On the other, lay out the slices of bacon and bake for 20 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to cool, then chop into ½ inch pieces.
- While the bacon and vegetables cook, wash and chop the lettuce and cucumbers. Cut the lettuce into bite sized pieces. Thinly slice the cucumber and halve the slices.
- Toss the lettuce and cucumbers with the beets, carrots, bacon and hard boiled eggs. Dress with the lemon vinaigrette to taste (Dressing instructions below).
- Add all of the ingredients together in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Store any extra dressing in a sealed glass container in the fridge.