Eeek! Guess what I got!
You see these pictures of these delicious roast beef apple sandwiches? As excited I am for the food in the pictures, I’m just as excited for the background! And that’s because my background board from Erickson Wood Works came today!
My fellow food bloggers, definitely check out their work!
My new background board came JUST in time to photograph these apple sandwiches.
I’ve seen apple ‘buns’ most often used for peanut butter sandwiches, but I decided to change it up big time. I’ve loaded the super simple apple buns with a roast beef club sandwich! Be very excited.
The tart from the ‘bun’ with all of the savory going on inside makes a totally delicious and uber-flavorful sandwich. Loaded with roast beef, bacon and eggs, the sandwiches are perfect for breakfast, lunch or even a filling snack. Basically you can justify eating them at any time of day.
And if people give you weird looks for using your apple as a sandwich buns, then I’d say they’re the ones with the issues. 😉 And that they’re actually super jealous of your apple sandwiches, because no way is their sandwich this healthy and delicious.
This recipe will make you 6 super simple sandwiches. Plus you’ll have lots of extra pesto that you can use to make pesto chicken salad. My recipe for thinly sliced roast beef works perfectly for this recipe, but any Applegate brand deli meat will work just as well too!
- 6 Slices bacon
- 2 Medium green apples
- 3 Hard boiled eggs (Sub avocado for egg free), sliced
- Thinly sliced roast beef (Or sub Applegate brand roast beef)
- 1½ Cups of basil, packed
- ½ Cup Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from ½ lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- ¼ Cup sunflower seeds
- 2 Small cloves garlic
- ½ Teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- Begin by cooking the bacon. I like to use the oven method of making bacon by baking it for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, turning once halfway through. Place the cooked bacon on a paper towel lined plate to cool/crisp.
- While the bacon cooks, hard boil the eggs if necessary and make the pesto. To make the pesto, combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until well combined.
- Now core the apples with an apple corer. Slice each cored apple into even slices. You don't want the slices too thick or it'll be difficult to fit the sandwich into your mouth. I get 7 slices, including the bottom piece that I don't use for the sandwiches.
- Now you can assemble your sandwiches. Begin with an apple slice and top it with 1-2 slices of thin roast beef. Spread on a dollop of pesto. Brake a piece of bacon in half and place both halves on the pesto. Finish with 2 slices of hard boiled egg (or avocado if using) and another slice of apple.
- Repeat with all of the apple slices. You should get 6 sandwiches.