Curry is one of my new favorite things. I think I say that a lot when I tried new foods. Before I decided to make curry out of the pork I bought a few weeks ago, I had never tried any kind of curry before. Actually, I don’t recall ever trying any Thai food at all. I should probably buy Sarah Fragoso’s new book full of paleo Thai cuisine so that I can get more exposure to Thai recipes. Especially now that I know how much I love curry!
That would be a great idea had I not banned myself from buying anymore cookbooks. I’ll go broke building my already impressive cookbook collection! It’s a problem.
I knew I had to recreate the red pork curry to be photographed and blogged, and I even added a few extra ingredients to perfect the flavor. Maybe you usually wouldn’t follow a Thai recipe by someone who just said they’ve never had Thai cuisine before, but do it. I promise this dish tastes delicious! It keeps making it’s way onto my weekly meal plan due to it’s simplicity, ease and pure addictiveness. Is that an adjective?
I would gladly eat this everyday.
The curry sauce is made predominately from coconut milk and Thai red curry paste, with sunbutter, coconut aminos and fish sauce added in. If any of these ingredients are new to you, you should be able to find them all at your local health food store or on Amazon. All together, these ingredients pack a lot of flavor! Although I love the broccoli, carrots and pork, you could easily sub in your favorite protein and vegetables without compromising the flavor of the dish. The magic really is all in the sauce!
You don’t have to worry about this dish being too spicy, either. The sunbutter and coconut aminos add a nuttiness and sweetness that reduces the heat from the paste. I find the heat of the dish to be tame without the addition of red pepper flakes. Kids and adults alike will enjoy this curry!
What are some of your favorite Thai dishes? I’d love to hear what I should try next!
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil (or cooking fat of choice0
- 1 Head broccoli (chopped florets and stem)
- 2 Carrots (chopped)
- 1 Red bell pepper (diced)
- 1-1.5 Pounds boneless center loin pork chops (cubed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (14 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower seed butter
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- ¼-1/2 Teaspoon red pepper flakes [optional]
- Heat a large deep rimmed pan over medium heat. Heat the oil.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and bell pepper to the pan and cook, covered 2-3 minutes. Remove the lid and add the cubed pork with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Cook until the pork is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Add all the remaining sauce ingredients and stir to combine. Bring the curry to a light boil, then reduce to low and simmer, covered for 10-15 minutes. The vegetables should be softened and the pork cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!