Healthier walking tacos made grain-free, dairy-free, nut-free and paleo! Make them for any celebration (like Cinco de Mayo!) or for a fun, easy dinner.
It’s one of my FAVORITE TIMES OF THE YEAR!
It is almost summer!! We’re right on the cusp, people!
It’s my birfday week, my long research paper is written, I’m almost done with finals … and did I mention it’s my birthday this weekend?!!! That means I can celebrate everyday until then with copious amounts of walking tacos and ice cream cake [hint, hint]. And it means that this week will only get better as it goes on! I’ll turn in my paper, finish my final, celebrate all the days this week, and life will be good. [Insert the “cool Emoji” with the sunglasses on].
But we can talk about all that again later.
Now lets discuss tacos in a bag with crunchy, salty plantain chips and celebrating Cinco de Mayo with Mexican flavored recipes. Because if you want an excuse to pour taco ingredients into a bag of plantain chips, then I guess Cinco de Mayo is a pretty good one.
Oh and yep: Walking tacos can be healthier than a bag of Fritos topped with processed nacho cheese and sour cream! These walking tacos are full of healthy avocado; fresh diced tomato, lettuce and onion; and creamy homemade ranch with your favorite clean salsa. And the chips, made from just plantains, palm oil and salt, are free of all grains and seriously amazing! If you haven’t tried them yet, you’re in for a treat.
Let’s break down how to put together these walking tacos. [hint: it’s beyond easy] Whoa guys, I even have step by step pictures for you again today! How fun!
Okay, start with the half baggie of plantain chips that you’ve crushed up a little bit. You want to remove a few of the chips so that you have enough room for a lot of toppings.
Top with the ground beef (directions on making the beef below in the recipe):
Then tomatoes, scallions and lettuce:
And olives and avocado: Lots of avocado.
Then trust me, even if you think it sounds weird, and add homemade ranch and your salsa of choice: You won’t regret it!
Garnish with cilantro to make it look extra beautiful:
And eat straight from the bag with a fork or spoon!
- 2 Bags Inka plantain chips
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced scallions (white part only)
- 2 Small avocados, diced
- 10 Ounces black olives, drained
- Salsa of choice
- Fresh cilantro to garnish
- 1 Batch of avocado oil mayo
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Teaspoons dried dill
- ¼ Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Pounds ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons Mexican seasoning or taco spice blend*
- Salt (if your spice blend is salt free)
- ¼ Cup water
- Prep all of the topping and place them in separate bowls.
- Make the ranch by combining the mayo, lemon juice, dill and garlic in a jar. Stir until well combined.
- In a medium-sized pan, heat the ground beef over medium-low heat. Season liberally with salt if your salt blend is salt-free. Brown the beef until almost cooked through, then stir in the seasoning and water. Finish cooking until browned, about 2 more minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Take the bags of plantain chips and smash the bags on the counter to break the chips slightly.
- Cut each bag in half with a pair of scissors and remove a small amount of the chips (place them in a separate bowl.
- Divide the remaining chips evenly between the half baggies.
- Let everyone top their chips with ground beef and toppings.
- Eat a walking taco straight from the bag with a spoon!
- You can use the reserved chips to make another taco inside a bowl, or for a second helping in the bag.
You can easily multiply this recipe to make as many walking tacos as you need.