Zucchini noodles tossed with a nut-free pesto made with kale, basil and EVOO. This recipe is egg free, nut free, dairy free, paleo and vegan.
Guys, I finally bought one. No I’m not talking about a new paleo cookbook, an arm full of food props or a ticket to Paleof(x).
Actually I bought those too. More importantly, I bought a spiralizer! If you don’t know, that’s a zoodle maker. Zucchini noodle = zoodle. You aren’t limited to zucchini, though. All sorts of veggies, including potatoes, carrots and cucumbers, can be transformed into noodles. It’s fun! Oh and incredibly addicting- I want to turn everything into a noodle dish! If you haven’t already, you need to get your hands on one of these zoodle-making spiralizers.
The first pasta dish that I whipped up is a light, yet comforting kale pesto. Traditional pesto is made with pine nuts and grated cheese, but I wanted to keep this pesto nut, seed and dairy free. Maybe a little out of the box, I went with kale as an alternative. Clearly the closest thing to both pine nuts and cheese is kale. (Just kidding). The kale is lightly cooked in coconut oil to remove some of the more bitter and gritty aspects, and does a beautiful job at adding both a deeper flavor and color to this pesto.
You can enjoy this dish solo as a light meal, or pair it with meat as an equally delicious and beautiful side dish that is gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, paleo and vegan.
If you want to get your hands on your own spiralizer here is the one I like best: Paderno Spiralizer
- 2 Large Zucchini
- 3 Cups kale
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ Cup olive oil
- ½ Cup basil
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ Cup water (to thin)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Using a spiralizer or julienne peeler, create thin, spaghetti-like noodles.
- Optional: Set a steamer basket on top of a pot of boiler water and steam the noodles until heated and softened. Do not over steam or the noodles will fall apart. You can also leave the zucchini noodles raw.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and melt the coconut oil. Cook the kale until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, combine the cooked kale with the remaining ingredients and process until well combined.
- Toss the zoodles with the pesto and serve.