A healthy oat-free porridge made with warm apples, shredded coconut and nut-butter!
HEALTHY apple pie breakfast bowls?! You’re in the right place!!!! <<< I’m not even trying to hide the excitement.
A steaming bowl of oats is soul food. There’s no denying how comforting a warm, sweet, delicious porridge is the in Fall and Winter. And especially when that bowl has some of the best flavors of Fall: apples, cinnamon and pumpkin granola. Plus sunbutter and coconut- goodies that are awesome all the time.
A hearty breakfast bowl brings me back to high school, when I ate a lot of oatmeal. Before oats were a problem for me, a big bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon and fruit was my favorite breakfast before school. This healthier version ditches the oats and is thickened with shredded coconut and sunflower seed butter (or whatever nut butter you love) instead.
You’ll love all the flavors of Fall in your breakfast, and how easy it is to make. Just warm everything up on the stove, then top your bowl with shredded coconut, pumpkin granola, and an extra drizzle of sunbutter.
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 Teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ Cup + 2 Tablespoons nondairy milk
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower seed butter (substitute your favorite nut/seed butter)
- 6 Tablespoons shredded coconut
- ¼ Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ Teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of cloves
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pumpkin Granola for topping
- Combine the diced apples, lemon juice and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cover with a lid for about 5-7 minutes to let the apple soften.
- Remove the lid and stir in the remaining ingredients. Turn the heat to low and cook until the mixture is thick and warm and the apples are softened to your liking. Be sure the stir the mixture occasionally as it cooks.(about 10 minutes).
- Scoop the porridge into two bowls and top with pumpkin granola, a drizzle of nut-butter and more cinnamon to taste. For more sweetness, you can add a drizzle of honey too.