Light and fluffy pumpkin banana bread, made with almond flour and lightly sweetened with honey. Gluten-free, dairy-free and paleo.
Fall is here! After living in Texas for the last 3 years, I am so ready for the fresh smell of Autumn, the crunchy leaves dropping off the trees, the sound of geese overhead, heading out before they freeze their feathers off. And of course PUMPKIN EVERYTHING.
That’s not to say that pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg can’t be loved in Texas too, but the smell of cinnamon filling the whole house is even better when it feels like fall outside too! I’m usually adamantly opposed to winter because me and the cold aren’t good friends. (And that feeling might return as soon as temperatures drop.) But this year, after moving back to Illinois where I grew up, I am genuinely excited to feel four full seasons again.
It doesn’t surprise me that as soon as I felt the promise of fall, I went into a bread baking frenzy. My grandmas house where I’m staying has fortunately smelled like cinnamon and nutmeg for the past week.
This bread is everything you want in a loaf of banana bread, moist, fluffy and full of cinnamon. Except it’s even better than banana bread because it’s pumpkin banana bread! Why doesn’t all banana bread have pumpkin in it? Seriously, this bread is happiness in food form, all sealed up in a warm, sliceable loaf that smells like cinnamon and tastes like Autumn. Mhmm. It even has my grandma’s stamp of approval! Whenever my grandma, who is an amazing baker and cook herself, loves a recipe of mine, I feel especially accomplished.
When it comes time for Christmas, everyone can just expect a loaf of this bread from me. Okay? Great.
You get bonus points for making this recipe because it’s totally healthy too! The entire loaf only has TWO tablespoons of honey because the bananas add enough sweetness on their own, and it’s packed with whole foods, like almonds and plantains.
- 1½ Cupsalmond flour
- 2 Teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ Teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Large (1 pound) green plantain
- 3 Eggs
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Cup mashed banana
- ½ Cup pumpkin puree
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Peel the plantain(s) and chop into smaller pieces. The size doesn't matter because you're pureeing the pieces.
- Combine the chopped plantain, eggs, coconut oil and honey in your blender and blend until smooth. Make sure there are no plantains chunks! (I've officially used two words I hate in this post: chunks and moist).
- Pour the pureed mixture into a large bowl and mix in the banana, pumpkin and vanilla. Stir until it's well combined.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and mix it all up.
- Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil and line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper. Spread the batter in the pan and bake for 45-60 minutes.
- Let cool completely before slicing. Store leftover covered on the counter or in the freezer.