Have you had sunflower seed butter? Aka sun butter. I once went through a whole jar in one day. Okay, that was yesterday, and it was because I used sun butter to bake multiple batches of these cookies. I can go through a jar pretty fast, though. I love how sun butter has the same texture as creamy peanut butter and can mimic the taste pretty well in baked goods. Actually, I would argue that sun butter is better than peanut butter, but that’s just a matter of opinion.
My sister, who is my official taste tester, absolutely loves sun butter, and now she loves these cookies too! She may
or may not have made a giant ice cream cookie sandwich by scooping a dollop of coconut ice cream between two double chocolate peanut butter cookies. If you make this recipe, you should probably do that.
Lucky for all of my taste testers, I made multiple batches of these cookies until the texture was just right. The cookies have a delicate crumble and melt in your mouth. They’re not too soft and not too crisp, but just perfect. When the cookies cool, they become firmer and chewier. Be careful not to move them before they cool completely, or they may break in half.
With sun butter in the place of peanut butter, double chocolate peanut butter cookies are completely nut free. They’re also dairy free, paleo-friendly, egg free, vegan and, of course, gluten and grain free! Oh and they’re the size of your face, which is a requirement of any good cookie.
- ⅔ Cup Tapioca Flour
- ½ Cup Cocoa Powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ Cup Sunflower seed butter
- ⅓ Cup organic palm shortening
- ½ Cup pure maple syrup
- 1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ Cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the tapioca flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add in the sunbutter, shortening, syrup and vanilla. Mix well- the dough will be nice and thick.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter into 8 large balls. On a lined baking sheet, flatten the dough into ¼ inch thick disks and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool completely. This is important, because they will set as they cool.
Don’t forget to check out the Primal Life Kit, where you can find an exclusive recipe from me! Offer ends on 04/28/14.