Cod fillets coated in shredded coconut and topped with sweet mango salsa. A healthy meal in under 30 minutes!
Are you ready for a FLAVOR-BOMBED update of an old recipe? It’s spicy, it’s sweet, it’s colorful, and this new version is the old one times 10,000. Or 10 zillion.
Let’s start with that beautiful piece of fish. The cod fillets are coated in a combination of spices, coconut milk and finely shredded coconut- that’s all! No flour. No eggs. You don’t get a thick breading or a crispy crust, but you do get a ton of flavor with simple, healthy ingredients. The combination of the spice, the slightly-sweet coconut coating and the ghee used to pan-fry the fish gives the cod a beautiful depth of flavor. It makes this fish and coconut loving girl happy as a clam.
All the fish lovers raise your hands! 🙌
But, hold on my friends who don’t seek out all the fish. I’m also happy to let you know that this fish recipe doesn’t taste too “fishy” at all. That might be hard to believe coming from me- a girl who loves any kind of seafood and embraces the fishiness- but i promise, it’s true! Cod is generally known as being one of the least fishy-tasting fish you can eat, and the strong flavors of the coconut and spice disguise the fish flavor even more. That means if you’re trying to get more healthy fish in your diet, this one’s for you!
You honestly don’t even need the mango avocado salsa…
But you sure do want it!
Think sweet mango, tangy lime, creamy avocado and fresh mint- all diced up and tossed together to make a colorful, sweet topping. The salsa cools off the heat from the fish while also offering a pop of color to your plate. We all know that pretty food always tastes better.
You can serve your fish with your favorite roasted vegetable, plantain chips for dipping in the salsa, or a simple side salad with lettuce and tomatoes. I like simple roasted asparagus with my fish, like the one I made with the original version of this recipe.
- 12 Ounces wild caught cod (2-3 fillets)
- ⅓ Cup coconut milk
- ½ Cup fine shredded coconut
- ½ Teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ Teaspoon cayenne powder
- Sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon ghee
- 1 Cup diced mango
- 1 Small avocado, diced
- 2 Heaping tablespoons finely diced red onion
- Juice from 1 small lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2-3 Mint leaves, minced
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Season the fish with salt and set aside on a cutting board. Place the coconut milk in a small bowl. In a separate, shallow bowl combine the shredded coconut, onion powder and cayenne.
- Heat a cast iron pan on the stovetop over medium heat with the ghee.
- While the pan heats up, coat your fish in the coconut: Dip the cod fillet in the coconut milk so that both sides get covered. Turn it over if needed to get the whole piece covered in the milk. Let any excessive milk drip off the fish (you don't want it dripping). Firmly press one side of the fish into the coconut mixture, then flip until all the sides are covered and the fish is well coated in delicious coconut.
- Place the coated cod in the pan and repeat the remaining fillet(s).
- Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes, turning the cod over carefully halfway through.
- Once both sides have been lightly browned, transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the fish is cooked through (7-10 minutes).
- While the fish finishes, combine all the ingredients for the salsa in a small bowl and toss.
- Top your cooked fish with the salsa and enjoy!
Join my weekly newsletter to receive email updates and an exclusive 10-recipe ebook! 💜