I hope your 2015 has started off really well! My new year has, so far, been spent avoiding the cold, eating lots of salads and binge watching House M.D. So much for less television.
But actually I am going to start reading instead of watching TV as soon as I get through the series. I had already started the show before the new year, and I can’t just quit now. Me getting totally sucked into TV series on Netflix is exactly why I need to start avoiding Netflix and pick up a new book. Uhhh yeah.
I might be slacking on the whole read more books thing, but I have been eating lots of salads lately! That counts for something, right?
I’ve also been eating lots of cashews because I’ve been on a big cashew butter kick. Hence this recipe.
When you mix cashew butter with shredded coconut and a banana, you get a chewy, not-too-sweet snack bite! You know when you used to eat a chewy granola bar that is basically all sugar, and would feel just as hungry as before you ate it? That doesn’t happen here. These babies are packed with lots of healthy fats from the cashews and coconut that will keep you full and satisfied!
Speaking of bananas and babies, are those baby bananas I used to the pictures not the cutest things ever? Mini food is the best.
Since these bites are sweetened with just a banana, they’re also 21 Day Sugar Detox friendly! The banana adds a teensy bit of sweetness and flavor, but really these bites are more nutty than they are sweet. They give you something truly healthy and filling to snack on with a perfectly chewy texture! And, if you aren’t following the 21dsd, you can totally stir in chocolate chips or raisins for extra deliciousness!
- 16 Ounces cashew pieces
- 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil + more as needed
- 1 Banana (green tipped for 21dsd)
- 1½ Cup Unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- Pinch of Sea salt
- Blend the cashews in a high speed blender or food processor for 5-10 minutes. You need to make cashew butter, so it will take time to get it nice and smooth. Once the cashews begins to turn into a butter, blend in the 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil. Blend until completely smooth. Transfer the cashew butter to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Mash the banana really well with a fork, or toss it into the blender/food processor to puree it for a few seconds. Add the mashed banana to the cashew butter.
- Toss the shredded coconut, cinnamon and a pinch of salt into the mixing bowl.
- Mix all of the ingredients well. If the mixture is a little too dry, you can add up to a tablespoon of extra coconut oil.
- Roll the mixture into 30-35 balls and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before enjoying.
- Store them in the fridge or in the freezer for long-term storage.