With starting school and a new job, life is about to get very busy. This is another reason I didn’t want to leave Colorado. I knew I’d being starting work literally the day after I arrived home, and I didn’t want the ease of summer to end. With less free time, meal planning has become my new lifesaver. I’m one of those people who needs a schedule or plan to feel less stressed, and now I know that meal planning is a must. I may be only 19, but I am the one who does most of the cooking for my family. I enjoy it, and it’s easier to cook for everyone if I’ll be cooking for myself.
Meal planning is also helping me save time for blogging. Cooking up new recipes and sharing them here is something that I love to do and actually relieves more stress. I love knowing that I will still have time and ingredients to create new things each week to share with you guys! Basically, even though life is getting more busy, I won’t be abandoning my blog and cooking.
I think having my recipes and meals (or at least the general idea) planned out each week will also help my food be more organized and delicious. No more missing an ingredient or two for a dish that I really want to make! In my opinion, these skewers are a testament to that thought. They are one of my new favorite recipes, but I may be a bit biased too.
I have always loved buffalo chicken. Maybe obsessed would be a better word. As young as four years old, I would order very spicy hot wings from my Aunt’s restaurant and eat them no problem. Spicy food has simply always been a love of mine. I would put Red Hot on everything from Rotisserie chicken to Chinese take-out. Now I have learned to love those foods without always being drenched in hot sauce, but my love of Red Hot still hasn’t wavered.
These skewers will likely become a new regular in my house, because they’re simple to whip up and have so much flavor. Most of the prep time for this recipe is spent letting the chicken marinade, and doesn’t actually require any effort at all. With the chicken already marinading in the fridge, you can have dinner on the table in 20 minutes. I recommend serving these with a side of carrot fries and homemade mayo or ranch dressing.
- 1.5 Pounds chicken breast (cubed)
- 1 Green bell pepper
- 1 Zucchini
- 3 Tablespoon Ghee
- 6 Tablespoon Red Hot hot sauce (or hot sauce of choice)
- 1 Teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Cube the chicken and place it in a shallow dish.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, mix the sauce ingredients until well combined.
- Measure ¼ cup of the sauce and pour it over the chicken. Marinade in the fridge for at least 60 minutes.
- While the chicken marinades, slice the zucchini and chop the pepper into equally-sized squares.
- Remove the marinaded chicken from the fridge. Assemble the skewers by alternating between chicken and vegetables. Using 5 chicken chunks and 4 veggies (2 each) per bamboo skewer, I made 7 skewers.
- Heat an indoor grill per its instructions and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grill the skewers 3-5 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Transfer the skewers to a lined baking sheet and bake for 5-10 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked through and no longer pink.
- Finish the skewers with the remaining buffalo sauce, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and fresh parsley.