Creamy broccoli sauce with coconut milk and mushrooms served over spaghetti squash.
I used to be obsessed with pasta. Anything pasta was my favorite meal when I was younger. Spaghetti, mac and cheese, alfredo and of course my mother’s famous pasta salad! You name it, I ate it.
Since going gluten and grain free, bread hasn’t been too big of an issue for me. I really don’t miss it at all. Some nights, though, I just wish I had a big bowl of noodles. The fact that I have taken to spaghetti squash after my dietary transition is no surprise.
With a great, creamy sauce poured over the squash, you get the flavor of eating a noodle dish without any actual noodles! Once I get my hands on a spiralizer (which I can’t believe I don’t own yet), I have a feeling I’ll be making pasta out of everything. If you begin to see pasta salad galore, then you know that I finally bought one.
Now that the “noodles” are covered, you need a sauce. I love broccoli cream sauce because of its smooth and creamy texture with an added bite of mushrooms. It replaces the the thick alfredo sauces, but without the dairy. The resulting flavor is of coconut and broccoli.
Broccoli cream sauce is comfort food to me. The rich, creamy sauce feels almost indulgent, but this dish is healthy!
It’s also incredibly versatile. You can leave it meatless, serve it on the side or dress it with your protein of choice. In 30 minutes, you’ll have a grain-free meal to replace your favorite pasta dishes!
- 1 Spaghetti squash
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 Ounces button mushrooms (I used baby bella)
- 2 Cups of steamed broccoli
- 1 Cup (full fat) coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon of each onion and garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and roast for about 40 minutes until fork tender. Use a fork to pull the strands apart from the outer shell.
- While the squash cooks, prepare the sauce.
- Steam the broccoli until soft.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the coconut oil. Slice and saute the mushrooms (5-8 mins). Stir in the steamed broccoli and use the back of a spoon to mash the broccoli until well broken up.
- Pour the coconut milk over the vegetables and reduce the heat to low. Allow the sauce to simmer about 15 minutes.
- Season the sauce and stir in the coconut aminos.
- Serve over the prepared spaghetti squash.