Taking pictures outside is a real challenge. In the winter it was no big deal, because bugs and animals aren’t a problem. Now, whenever I go outside to take a picture, I can’t have the food out for 5 minutes without bugs flying in my garage. They are especially pesky when I have something sweet, so basically all the time. It’s never just flies either. Yeah flies are pesky, but at least they don’t sting. I tend to attract all of the bees, wasps and hornets into my garage. I don’t like things that fly, especially if they can sting me. Not cool.
Speaking of my fear of things that fly, I am absolutely terrified of birds. Other than chickens (which I actually adore) they’ve always been a big fear. Like afraid to the point where I’ve had nightmares about being pecked by birds. And last week those nightmares came true twice. Aren’t I lucky? Seriously, though. Twice last week, while going on walks around my neighborhood, I was attacked by a bird! Flying at me and pecking and flapping it’s wings at me until I ran away. So yeah, attacked. Of course I live in a neighborhood full of trees and birds, so the entire way home I jumped every time I heard or saw a bird. I definitely looked crazy. I still get the heebie jeebies just thinking about it, and I’m a
little lot terrified to go on walks around my neighborhood anymore.
If I sound over dramatic, then you really don’t understand how intense my fear of birds is. I don’t want to spend this entire post complaining, so I’ll tell you about these delicious breakfast pizzas.
Imagine a cheesy ham, egg and vegetable mixture atop a sweet potato hash brown crust. I think that almost says it all. The crust, made from sweet potato, eggs and coconut flour, is soft and holds together without becoming soggy. As is true with most of my recipes, this can be made with whatever you have on hand. The cheese can be omitted, the veggies can be changed and the ham can be swapped for bacon or sausage. In 30 minutes, you can easily switch up your bacon and egg routine. Plus who doesn’t want pizza for breakfast?
- 2 Cups shredded sweet potato
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ Teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ Green pepper (diced)
- 1 Handful of kale (or leafy green of choice)
- 1 Clove garlic
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon dried basil (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 3 Ounces grass-fed shredded cheese (I use Kerrygold brand)
- 5 Grape tomatoes (sliced)
- 2 Ounces thinly sliced ham
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the crust ingredients and mix well your hands until the mixture holds together. Separate in half, and form into two crusts. Place both crusts on a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, prepare the toppings.
- In a pan over medium heat, melt the coconut oil. Cook the green pepper, garlic and kale until the is wilted. Add the eggs to the pan and scramble lightly. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the eggs are almost cooked through.
- Remove the pan from heat, and stir in the basil.
- Flip over the cooked crust. Top the crust with the cheese, egg mixture, tomato and ham in that order.
- Bake for an additional 5-8 minutes, serve and enjoy.
The recipe can easily be doubled to serve more people.